Our Children’s Christmas Fair is a wonderful, festive celebration that brings our community together through shared work and play. From far and wide, our school is renowned for offering a magical experience of seasonal wonder and joy. To support this magic, here are some practical steps to be taken.
Please see the table below to find out what activity your class is responsible for hosting this year.
|Kindergarten(s) xxxxxxx||Woodland Pond||Plum Cottage|
|Grade 1||Younger Children’s Activities xxxxxxx||Grades 1 & 4|
|Grade 2||Cookie House||Red Rose|
|Grade 3||Silk Painting||Grade 6|
|Grade 4||Candle Dipping||Grade 7|
|Grade 5||Strings Cafe||Grade 8|
|Grade 6||Bairn’s Bazaar||Grade 4|
|Grade 7||Elves Workshop||Woodworking Room|
|Grade 8||Crystal Cave||Round House|
|High School||Outdoor Foods/BBQ||Play Field|
|High School||Shepherd’s Lunch||Music Room / Community Kitchen xxxxxxx|
|High School||Specialty Foods||Play Field|
For our Fair to be a success, we rely on the generous support from VWS families and friends. If everyone contributes their time and energy in some way, we can make this an enjoyable and joy-filled experience for our children and the entire community.
- Sign-Up Sheets have been posted at the Grade School, High School, and outside the Kindergartens. Come pencil in your name for your class assignment and check back often to see where else you might offer support.
Baking & Savoury Treats
- We need items donated for Specialty Foods and Strings Café – baked goods and loaves, preserves, jars of this or that, etc. – anything you can offer will be appreciated.
- The Cookie House also requires approximately 500 pre-strung cookies to hang up the night before the Fair. If you are a baker, this is a wonderful and much appreciated way to get involved!
*Gluten Free on Green Strings
*Vegan on Blue Strings
*All others on Red Strings.
Don’t forget to make a hole in the cookies before baking!
- If you can provide any of the above goodies, please add your name to the Sign-Up Sheets, then drop off your gifts on Friday, Nov 17, to Ronaye at Grade School reception. Please clearly mark your containers and which activity they are meant to be distributed to.
Signs & Posters
- Posters are available across from reception. Please pick up a few, mark your posting locations, and share them around!
- Lawn Signs will be ready for distribution on Friday afternoon and will be found at the entrance to the Grade School; place one in your front yard to invite your neighbours!
- Natural items are needed to beautify the school grounds. What? Greenery, boughs, stumps, flowers, etc *collected legally & sustainably please. Where? Dropped in the designated spot at the bottom of the garden below the Community Kitchen, along the edge of the play field. When? November 16, 17, 18
Coordinators & Class Reps
- Please make a point of visiting the Storage Room (downstairs & accessible from the 2/3 Play Yard) to check that everything you need is there. Keys are available from Laura, Ronaye or Huy.
- Please check your Event Signage and let us know if you need any updates.
- Double check that the Number of Helpers on your sign-up sheets are sufficient, there is still time to adjust, if needed.
- A few event still do not have dedicated event coordinators. If you have experience with helping to hold any of the following events, please consider stepping forward as Coordinator, or at the least as a Mentor.
*Younger Children’s Crafts
- Our Pocket Lady needs goodies to carry in her pockets. We are looking for crafters to make tiny treasures. Contact a Fair Committee member to let them know you can help.
- The Red Door Store will be open both during the Night Market and the Fair. Are you interested in taking your shift in this cozy, sweet environment? We are looking for 3 people per shift to manage the store. Training will be made available!
- We need a guy and gal (or three) to check the Boys and Girls Bathrooms once an hour to make sure we’re good on supplies.
- Do you have a vision for decorating the outdoor spaces at the Fair? We are looking for an individual or team to take up Outdoor Decorating/Greenery/Rain Shelter design & setup.
- And last but not least, we need one person with a large vehicle to pick up our Waste Management recycle bins on Friday, then drop them off again on Monday.
As you can imagine, there are many busy hands at work preparing to create yet another memorable event in the tradition of the VWS. Please do not hesitate to contact any of the Christmas Fair Committee members with questions or comments or to find out how to get involved.
Thank you one and all,
On behalf of the 2017 Christmas Fair Committee
Linda Baker, Laura Bergstrome, Walter Daroshin, Ashlea Earl, Andrea Frisque, Ronaye Ireland, Alison McCaig, Vlado Milanovic, & Ian Rapaport
The regularity with which the Sun moves through the seasons, the regularity manifested in the growth of plants and in the life of animals, this regularity was once chaos.
Harmony has been attained at the cost of great travail.
Humanity stands today within the same kind of chaos, but out of the chaos, there will arise a harmony modeled in the likeness of the harmony in the universe.
Peace to those who are of goodwill.
~ Rudolf Steiner, from Festivals and Their Meanings, Christmas 1923