Children’s Christmas Fair – 8 days and counting!
For those who are new to our community, this is a whole-school event, which will take place on Saturday, November 24 from 10 – 3 p.m. Our entire school and school grounds will be transformed with music and wonder, including a variety of food and eating venues offering delicious whole foods and special treats and child-friendly activities to appeal to young and young-at-heart. From far and wide, our school is renowned for offering a magical experience of seasonal wonder and joy.
Mark your calendar, dear parents, for an adults-only Friday evening Marketplace from 6:30 – 8:30 p.m. on November 23. This is your chance to be first in line to do Christmas shopping and browsing, free from the curious eyes of little ones! Our Marketplace overflows with specialty crafts, Waldorf-inspired toys, books, and other unique goods and draws people back year after year, for its wonderful selection and quality. For those unable to come Friday night and for all the younger ones, don’t despair – there will still be plenty of beautiful items left to peruse and purchase during the Fair itself on Saturday.
The Children’s Christmas Fair is a very large undertaking, and it is also a major fundraiser for our school. This Fair is the one annual event where the school seeks 100% volunteer participation from the parent body. Although the Fair itself only lasts for five hours, preparation is already underway and has been all through the Fall. Opportunities for involvement include creating crafts, organizing specific activities, preparing special foods, advertising this event in your neighbourhood, setting up the school prior to the Fair, participating in shift-work and helping clean up after the Fair is over.
Our Children’s Christmas Fair is now 8 days away!
As we meditate on the larger significance of our annual Christmas Fair and its role within the myriad events we apply ourselves to and invest in as community members, please allow an update on a few practical matters…
Posters & Facebook
- Posters are available at the Grade School. Please pick some up and distribute all across town! The event is live on Facebook, invite your circle of friends to join us!
Sign Up Online
- Currently 53% full! Shifts will be automatically assigned to all parents starting Monday, November 19. Sign up here Parent Volunteer Guide to make sure you get the shift you want. You are welcome to sign up for any activity you like, however, please make sure that your designated class event is covered first.
- High School students have all signed up for their volunteer hours at their class meetings last week. If you are not sure what time they should be at the Fair, please check the email sent by Sarah or you may contact her (email@example.com) or Laura (firstname.lastname@example.org) for clarification.
- Grade School students in grades 6 – 8 are welcome to sign up to help with certain events, the sheets are on the bulletin board at the Grade School as is the Sign up for String Cafe musicians.
- We are on the lookout for boughs of cedar or fir for decorating the grounds. If you are trimming hedges or have some fallen branches from our recent windstorm, please bring them in and drop off at the front of the Grade School. Please connect with Mary (email@example.com) or Laura (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you think you can help.
- Grade School – there is an early dismissal on Friday, November 23 at 12:20 pm.
- High School – all students will be dismissed from the Grade School at 3:15. Several students have signed up for their volunteer hours on Friday afternoon between 3:00 and 5:00, rather than taking a shift on Saturday. Please check with your student if they have committed to staying later.
- Oodles of pre-strung and decorated cookies for the Cookie House, sweet or savoury goodies & snacks for the Strings Cafe, full loaves, cookies and muffins by the 1/2 dozen, preserves, and other culinary delights for the Specialty Food Stand.
- Baking Signup
Red Door Store & Pocket Lady
- These two areas of the Fair are not assigned to any one particular class, however, are both beloved, busy and require volunteers. If you are looking for ways to be involved there are still lots of spots open.
- Red Door Signup
- Pocket Lady Signup
- Volunteers are needed to assist with a variety of set-up tasks on Friday afternoon. Volunteering on the set-up crew is a really good way for parents and guardians new to the school to get involved with the broader school community. It’s a relatively low commitment of time and you’re guaranteed to feel more connected to the School and the Fair. Tasks will include setting up the Hall and Grade 2 classroom for the Vendor Village, helping to distribute rental items, and general last minute beautifying & tidying.
- Set-up Signup
Adult Only Night Market Coordinator
- This a potential new role that we will leave open until Monday, if there is no interest, then we will take it down. On Friday evening, our wonderful and talented Marketplace vendors will be open and ready for business from 6:30 – 8:30 pm. The coordinator role is intended for a creative soul who has the vision to deliver a warm and inviting atmosphere which could include refreshments and entertainment.
- Night Market Signup
Mary Henley & Laura Bergstrome
Christmas Fair Co-Chairs
The regularity with which the Sun moves through the seasons, the regularity manifested in the growth of plants and in the life of animals, this regularity was once chaos. Harmony has been attained at the cost of great travail. Humanity stands today within the same kind of chaos, but out of the chaos, there will arise a harmony modelled in the likeness of the harmony in the universe. Peace to those who are of goodwill.
~ Rudolf Steiner, from Festivals and Their Meanings, Christmas 1923