Important Return to School Update #4
We are looking forward to welcoming your children to school next week. While your Class Teacher will provide specific in-class details, in this message we hope to offer more clarity around what to expect in the first few days regarding events, drop-off and pick-up, arrival times and class locations.
Monday – Labour Day
Public holiday, no school.
Tuesday – Rose Ceremony & Whole School Opening Assembly
Grade 1 Rose Ceremony & Parent Orientation
Grade 1 students and their parents are invited to attend a welcoming ceremony on Tuesday, September 8 at 9:30 am at the Grade School Campus. Please gather with your child in the big play yard. Be sure to arrive with ample time to find parking in the neighbourhood as the parking lot will be closed. While the children visit their classroom, Carman Ho, Admissions Coordinator, and Mary Henley, Community & Resource Development Manager, will host a brief orientation to welcome you to the Grade School and to answer questions you might have.
Whole School Opening Assembly
Families from our Early Childhood, Grade School, and High School programs are invited to attend the Whole School Opening Assembly at 11:30 am via Zoom. This assembly will set the tone for the year to come with teacher presentations and offerings all through the grades.
Wednesday – First full day of classes
Parents are responsible to use the Daily Health Check for Students to assess for symptoms of common cold, influenza, or COVID-19 like symptoms. If your child displays any of the symptoms on the checklist that are not related to any pre-existing conditions (e.g. allergies) the child must not be sent to school. Please communicate any pre-existing conditions with your child’s Class Teacher by email before your child attends school.
- Students arriving on foot or bicycle may enter the school property as usual via the driveway sidewalk or at the crosswalk where staff will be on hand to assist.
- Students arriving by vehicle may either be dropped off via the Kiss & Go Lane, in the drop-off area on St. Christopher’s Road (at the bottom of the steps), or parents may park in the neighbourhood and walk with their child.
- The driveway sidewalk is one-way only. After drop-off, parents are to use the crosswalk and return to St. Christopher’s Road via the steps.
- Parents are to maintain a 2-meter distance between themselves and others outside their family bubble while dropping-off their children.
- Parents are kindly reminded that remaining on campus after drop-off is no longer permitted. If parents need to speak with their child’s teacher or an administrator, a pre-arranged appointment must be made by email.
- The parking lot is closed for parent parking with the exception of individuals who must carry a baby to assist drop-off in the ECC or Grade 1. Please take note of the four designated ECC and visitor parking spots
Arriving by School bus
Students who travel to school riding the school bus will use assigned seating and will be directed by the bus driver as to appropriate loading and unloading protocol. When arriving at the Grade School, all students, including High School riders, will exit the bus while the bus is sanitized before continuing on to the High School. If you wish to enquire about bus transportation for your child, please contact Admissions at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Student Arrival & Entry
Our front doors open at 8:10 am, from which time we will provide supervision in the designated areas noted below. When students arrive on campus, they will proceed directly to their class (School Map) to avoid congregating at the bell tower. Parents are requested to drop off their children as close to 8:10 am as is possible. Any student arriving before 8:10 am will need to minimize physical contact with students outside their cohort. Classes begin at 8:25.
- Grade 1 students will walk with their parents around the left side of the school to the gate of the Grade 1 play yard where they will be met by faculty from 8:15 am onward.
- Students in Grades 2, 3, 6, 7 will enter the school through the front door, then proceed to their classroom via the inner courtyard to wait for their Class Teacher to open the classroom door at 8:15 am. Administrative staff will supervise the inner courtyard.
- Students in Grades 4 are to go directly to their classroom around the outer right side of the school using the side path stairs. Students should access the school grounds via the driveway either by foot on the sidewalk or be dropped off in the Kiss & Go Lane. Children will proceed directly to their classroom to wait until their Class Teacher opens the classroom door at 8:15 am.
- Students in Grades 5, 8 are to access to their classrooms around the outer right side of the school via the garden path near to the beehives. If using the Kiss & Go Lane or on foot via the driveway sidewalk, please say goodbye to their children at the base of the garden path at the bend in the driveway (just past the large wooden enclosure). Students should proceed directly to their classroom to wait until their Class Teacher opens the classroom door at 8:15 am.
- Any student arriving late, after 8:25, must check-in at Reception then proceed to their classroom.
Students in Grades 5 through 8 will be requested to wear a mask during visits to the washrooms (including the walk to and from their classroom to the washroom), where maintaining a 2-meter distance from students outside of their cohort will be difficult. Students will be provided with disposable masks and are also welcome to bring a mask from home.
End of School Day
Students will be dismissed at 3:00 pm. (Remember that students are dismissed at 2:15 pm on Thursdays!)
- You may use the Kiss and Go lane, the pick-up area along St. Christopher’s Road, or park in the neighbourhood and walk to meet your child.
- There will be no stopping and waiting in the Kiss and Go lane. Please do not arrive early and wait for your child. You will be asked to circle around until your child is ready and waiting for you.
- If you are on foot, we ask that you leave school grounds immediately after collecting your child via the crosswalk.
- Students riding the school bus will line up prior to loading and will be directed by the bus driver to their assigned seat.
After School Program
We are once again offering our After School program which will run until 6:00 pm, Monday to Friday. The program will take place in both the Red Rose Kindergarten and the Grade School Music room. To register, please contact Wei Liu at email@example.com.
To minimize risks, we ask that all adults needing to enter the school please book an appointment first as we are unable to accommodate drop-ins. All visitors with pre-arranged appointments, including parents, must register at Reception. Registration will include completing the Daily Health Check and providing contact information.
As a reminder, our campuses are scent-free and cell phone-free spaces.
We are incredibly grateful for your support as we put the final touches on creating a plan to best serve our students, staff, and community all while following the Ministry of Education guidelines.
If you have questions or concerns about any of the details included in these plans, or as we move into the school year ahead, please contact any member of our Management Team directly or email MT @ vws.ca for assistance.
Communications & Events Coordinator
lbergstrome @ vws.ca