Week at a Glance January 14 – 18
Dear VWS Families & Guardians,
I hope everyone is well settled in after the Winter Break. The Grade School is abuzz with excitement as students prepare for class plays, basketball games, snowshoeing in Whistler, and more. Our 8th Grade class is spending the week at the High School to get a taste of the upper grades; I look forward to hearing their stories when they return.
TUESDAY – January 15
- Grade 6 Parent Evening 7:00 pm, GS
THURSDAY – January 17
- Grade 1 Parent Evening 7:00 pm, GS
FRIDAY – January 18
- Community Coffee Morning 8:30 am, GS
- Plum Cottage Parent Evening 7:00 pm, ECC
- We have some exciting events planned for parents this term. Next week, we are inviting Kim John Payne back to VWS to work with us. He will be here on January 24 and 25 to work with faculty during the day, then on the evening of Thursday, January 24 he will present a parent evening based on his best selling book Simplicity Parenting. 40 tickets remain; if you wish to attend, please purchase now as they will not be available for sale on site (Delbrook Community Centre 851 West Queens). https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/simplicity-parenting-with-kim-john-payne-tickets-53555514987
- In February we are hosting highly sought after presenter Jesse Miller to discuss Social Media & Online Safety. Jesse works with school districts across BC and AB and presents frequently at the Calgary Waldorf School. We are thrilled to have finally booked him, as his busy schedule has not made it possible until now. Do not miss this opportunity to learn from an expert in his field. We will welcome Jesse to our main campus on Wednesday, February 6 at 7:00 pm. Students are welcome to attend with their parents.
- Then at the end of February, we will be welcoming back health and wellness expert, Jessica Wollen, to talk with parents about sexual health and how to be an Askable Adult for our children. Jessica works directly with our students, Grades 8 and up and offers excellent insight into the questions and concerns our children might have. She is a refreshing presenter who opens the floor for an honest and lively conversation. She will be joining us on Monday, February 25 at 7:00 pm, also at the main campus.
- Each Friday morning all parents are welcome to join Mary Henley in the Kitchen and Music Room for a social gathering over a hot beverage and refreshments. Whether your child is in Parent & Tot, independent at the High School, or anywhere in between, you are welcome to stop in to say hello and meet other like-minded parents. Coffee Morning runs between 8:30 and 10:30 am. Volunteers are always welcome to help with setup, takedown, to bring an activity or baking. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you want to help out.
- For the 3rd year in a row, many families in our Chinese community have been planning a New Year Celebration to usher in the Year of the Pig of Friday, February 8. Stay tuned for more information as it comes available.
- Grade 8 Projects are coming up in March – stay tuned, but mark your calendar for March 4 & 5.
- Festival of the Arts is on March 13. There will be an early dismissal at 1:15 for Grade School students only. Tickets will be on sale at the end of February.
- February Break is mid-winter from February 18 (Family Day) until February 22. There will be no classes at this time. Students in Grades 9 and 11 will be conducting their volunteer work experience hours while Grade 12 students work on the practical aspect of their Grade 12 Projects.
- Spring Break is from March 18 to 29. Please note that there is NO early dismissal on Friday, March 15 at the end of term. Nor will there be After School care.
That’s quite enough for you to read through! Wishing you warmth and inner light in this week ahead.
The Vancouver Waldorf School is situated on the unceded ancestral territory of the Musqueam (xʷməθkʷəy̓əm), Squamish (Sḵwx̱wú7mesh Úxwumixw) and Tsleil-Waututh (səl̓ilwətaɁɬ) Nations.